Originally, I had intended to try to stay close to the size of my original sketch for this piece. But, one of the things I’ve found with crewel, and specifically in working with wool instead of cotton floss, is that I need to work a bit larger! Overall, the size of the elements in the sketch are on the small-ish side, and I think, will “crowd” me (for lack of a better term) when stitching with wool. So, I opted to enlarge the design somewhat… but still keep the stitched area within 8″ wide by around 19″ high.
So, after taking into consideration my desire to add a border, I decided to move my sketching to graph paper. Almost immediately, I was pretty sure I was going to have to let go of one of the things I really wanted to incorporate: the pennant shape of the bellpull bottom. I just couldn’t make the diamond pattern work within the diagonal areas…
I drew and re-drew. I sized and re-sized. I fussed and fretted. Then, for a short time, I weighed which I wanted more: the diamond pattern *or* the pennant shape. Finally, I chose to abandon the pointed bottom, and squared it off instead, maintaining the straightforward diamond pattern throughout the entire border. Of course, it still remains to be seen if I’ll be able to execute the border in a way I’ll like… but I’ll cross that bridge (or not) when I get to it.
As it turns out, changing the bottom did have an unintended good consequence: more room for interesting extra flowery bits at the bottom of the design. 🙂
I realize at this point that the design may be a bit too complicated… but you know how *that* goes. 😉