I promised a peek at the computer end of things. The first image is a shot of my designing screen. I use an older version of VectorWorks (a CAD program) on an old Mac laptop (my first!) running
an ancient operating system OS9. But it works just fine for my needs.
This is the cloister garden scene near the bottom of Illuminata. (I think in the distant past I posted a pencil sketch; this version is pretty much the same as the original drawing).
The colored stuff on the right are the color symbols I’m using in the piece. Each symbol was created individually and then placed into a library which was built over a period of years. It seemed like each new design required new symbols, so by now, the collection is pretty extensive. Each symbol must be placed individually on the grid.
The heavier lines are backstitch lines of which I’m fairly certain. The thin sketchy lines are just lines drawn in to give me an idea where I’m planning to place various items. These lines are deleted when they are no longer useful or get in my way. (Since the design is created in layers, I can work on just the backstitching or just the symbols or on any other area for which I’ve created a separate layer, without messing up the other layers.)
I don’t know if you can see or not, but by the sketchy lines, I’m planning quite a bit of greenery and flowers, a fruit tree (not sure yet what kind), and the edge of a pool/pond in the lower left corner. A lot of the colonnade will be obscured by climbing greenery, and by the tree, so much of that backstitch detail will also be deleted as I go.
This is just a view without the rest of the screen clutter. I’ve place a few color symbols in the topiary at the far left. My plan is to make the areas behind the colonnade deep shadow to give the scene more depth, while what’s toward the front will be lighter brighter colors.
I’m not sure you can see or not, but the figures are designed over-one while the rest of the scene will be designed for over-two stitching. The figures are being designed in a separate file where each grid block equals one over-one stitch, so I can still utilize my main color symbols library. The backstitch lines in the image above were copied and pasted from from the over-one file and reduced by 50% to be proportionate with the main design file.
This is a shot of the over-one file of the figures… as you can see, they’re still in process. I’ve got color symbols stuck all over the place so I can select them quickly with the symbol placement tool instead of opening the library every time I want to switch colors. Not sure at this point if the colors will stay the same…
So, there you have a peek at the technical end of things. Hope I didn’t put you to sleep! If you’re interested, I can share more of the process as I go… I don’t want to overwhelm with technical stuff. Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for stopping by!